By Dr. Simone Lord
In addition to losing some belly fat, a fast helps to detoxify your blood and colon. Fasting can also help with digestive issues, constipation and spiritual growth. If done right, it can bring about a miracle solution to your problem. In the bible, in the book of Daniel, it is shown that Daniel as well as his friends, Medrach, Shedrach and Abednego did not eat the rich foods of their oppressors. Instead they ate vegetables, soups and drank lots of water as well as herbal teas. They were able to withstand being thrown into a lion’s den and a fiery furnace!
If you can fast for seven days it would help you to detox your body of some of the junk that has accumulated in your system over the years. Many people do not fast nor detoxify their bodies. Fasting for just one day can help boost brain function, lower inflammation, improve heart health, improve blood pressure, decrease appetite and improve discipline.
I ask my clients all the time, “When was the last time you did a detox?” More often than not, the answer is, “I don’t remember ever doing one.” In many cultures, parents ensure that their children take something that purges their systems. This helps to rid the body of parasites, too much sugar, psoriasis, eczema and a host of other blood issues. Fasting also gives the internal organs a rest from processing all the food that goes into our bodies daily. It is important to ask your doctor if it’s okay for you to embark on a fast, especially if you have compromised health. In many cases, fasting is recommended. In some cases, it is wise to proceed very cautiously.
In terms of spiritual development, a fast with daily prayers can help one to tremendously relax the mind, helps with disciplining the mind and body which helps you to achieve any goal that you set. Fasting can help calm the mind from incessant chatter and constant worry.
Fasting helps one to think peaceful thoughts, to slow down and to let go and let God fight your battles. Fasting also enables focus and clarity to some complexing and worrisome issues or problems. Fasting with prayers also reduces stress.
It is a good idea to do a juice fast. This consists of all-natural cold pressed juices, wheatgrass shots, water and herbal teas. A watermelon fast is a good way to detox the body and the mind quickly.
Some rules to fasting:
- Do stay hydrated. How much water should one drink? Half your body weight in ounces.
- Go for a walk and meditate. This helps to take your mind off the fact that you’re hungry,
- Ask your medical doctor if it’s a good idea for you to fast, especially if you have diabetes.
- Start off small.
- Don’t feast when you come off a fast.
- Stick with what you learned during fasting. Eating little portions and not overindulging in food is very healthy and you will stay slim.
- Don’t fast if you’re pregnant, breastfeeding or have blood sugar issues like diabetes.
- Focus on the reason or reasons for your fast.
- Do pray often while you fast. Meditate on scriptures. Some problems can only go away with fasting and prayer. (See Mark 9:29)
- Praying with a prayer partner helps achieve what you’re praying for.
SOURCE Faith News Service